Sun damage: It’s one of those things that many of us don’t fully appreciate until well into adulthood. You may have accumulated a lot of sun damage in your younger years, but hadn’t seen the ramifications until recently.
When sun damage surfaces, it may include:
- Brown spots
- Splotchy discoloration
- Broken capillaries and redness
- Uneven texture
- Loss of elasticity
Each person’s skin and genetic makeup is unique, so the severity and age of onset for sun damage varies from person to person.
Repairing Sun Damage
So you had blistering sunburns as a child, and - being in Los Angeles - you’ve gotten your fair share of UV rays as an adult as well. Going forward, it’s important to recommit to sun protection: wear sunscreen when you’ll be outside for a while, wear a daily SPF-rated moisturizer, seek shade in the middle of the day, and wear protective hats and clothing. But what can you do about your sun-related sins of the past?
In addition to doubling down on sun protection, selected treatments provided by experienced cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald will help to repair and reduce sun damage. These are just a few of the many treatments we offer:
- Halo laser treatment. The hybrid Halo laser provides ablative and non-ablative resurfacing so that both the epidermis and deeper layers of skin are rejuvenated. The treatment can also be customized to the intensity you want.
- BBL photofacial. Broadband light uses certain wavelengths of light to treat various problems, including sun damage. Like Halo, it is very customizable.
- Chemical peels. There are a variety of chemical peels available. Dr. Fitzgerald will match the right one to your sun damage.
- Combined treatments. A combined approach, such as Halo and BBL, may be the right way to reach optimal results.
Dr. Fitzgerald will examine your face, assess sun damage and other skin issues, and discuss your goals with you as part of recommended treatment options.
Your Path to Rejuvenated Skin
If you live in Los Angeles or the surrounding areas, and you are looking for an experienced cosmetic dermatologist to help you repair and address sun damage, please call the practice of Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald at 323-464-8046.