Breaking out from your mask? Here's why and what to do.
Wearing a mask can lead to acne mechanica, a form of acne triggered by excess heat, pressure, friction or rubbing of the skin. This breakdown of the skin’s barrier allows bacteria to enter the skin creating the perfect environment for an acne breakout.
Some tips while wearing a mask:
- Wear a breathable fabric mask and change to a freshly washed mask daily (Prewash any masks before first use. You may have to try different masks for the best comfort and protection.)
- Wash face with a gentle cleanser and wash immediately after exercise or any sweat-producing activity. Simple cleansers like Cetaphil, Cerave - go unscented
- Use a gentle exfoliating pad daily with salicylic or glycolic acid
- Apply a moisturizer with ceramides and hyaluronic acid to restore the skin’s natural barrier
- Use a clay mask once or twice weekly to help bring any impurities or built up dirt to the surface
- Don’t over exfoliate the skin as this can lead to further breakdown of the skin barrier and actually make the acne worse
Products that can help: Skinceuticals Retexturizing Activator, Skinceuticals Clay Masque, ZO Cebatrol Pads, SkinBetter Trio Moisturizer
Maskne Relief Package
- 6 Laser Genesis Treatments
- Full Size Skinceuticals Clay Masque
- Full Size Skinceuticals Retexturing Activator
- Complete Package $1500 Savings $1,000