Summer is almost here. If you’re planning on enjoying the long, sunny days we typically experience in the Beverly Hills area, you’ll need to take some steps to protect your skin from sun damage. The sun’s UV rays can result in the development of wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer. It’s crucial that you do your part to provide your skin with the protection it needs.
The following skin care tips will help you minimize the harmful damage caused by the sun’s rays. Not only will this reduce your risk of conditions such as skin cancer, but it will help you maintain youthful, healthy looking skin for years to come.
Don’t Forget to Wear Sunscreen!
Wearing sunscreen is one of the easiest and most important ways you can protect your skin. Yet many people forget to apply sunscreen on a regular basis. Approximately 80% of your exposure to the sun occurs while you’re outside performing regular everyday activities. Therefore, it’s crucial that you wear sunscreen all the time, not just when you’re hanging out at the beach.
Keep these tips in mind to get the most protection out of your sunscreen:
- Choose a sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen (these products protect against both UVA and UVB rays)
- It takes approximately 1 ounce of sunscreen for the average adult to cover their face, neck, arms and legs
- Reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours for maximum effectiveness – if you’re swimming or sweating a lot, you may want to reapply even more often
- For maximum effectiveness, apply sunscreen about 20-30 minutes before you go outside
- Always use sunscreen, even if it is cloudy or raining outside
Protect Your Eyes
Your eyes are typically one of the first areas of your face to show signs of aging. The delicate skin in this area needs extra protection to guard against the sun’s harmful rays. Always wear sunglasses when you’re outside. Keep in mind that quality matters -- $10 sunglasses from the gas station won’t protect your eyes nearly as well as a pair of high quality sunglasses.
When choosing a pair of sunglasses:
- Make sure to buy sunglasses that have labels indicating they provide 100% UV protection
- Consider choosing styles that wrap around or fit close to your eye in order to provide your eyes with extra protection
- Sunglasses with wider lenses will provide better protection for the delicate skin near your eyes
You should also use a good quality moisturizer to hydrate the skin around your eyes. This will help keep this region looking more youthful and vibrant.
Wear the Proper Clothing
The clothing you wear will impact the amount of UV protection your skin receives. Long-sleeved shirts, long skirts and pants will provide the best protection since they cover more of your skin. Dark colored clothing typically provides better UV protection than light colored clothing.
You may also want to consider purchasing clothing that has a label listing the UPF (UV protection factor). This is similar to SPF in sunscreen. The higher the UPF number, the more protection the clothing provides.
Wearing a hat will provide additional protection to areas such as the ears, forehead, nose, eyes and neck which typically experience intense sun exposure. Choosing a hat with a 2- to 3-inch brim all around will provide much more protection than a traditional baseball cap.
Additional Tips to Protect Your Skin from the Sun
Dr. Fitzgerald recommends the following tips to provide additional protection against the sun:
- Limit your direct exposure to sunlight between 10 am and 4 pm when the sun’s rays are strongest
- If you must be outside during these peak hours of sun intensity, seek shade whenever possible under a tree or umbrella
- Regularly apply lip balm to protect your lips from drying out due to the sun’s UV rays
- Ask your doctor if any of the medications you’re taking will make your skin more sensitive to sun exposure and take any additional precautions that may be necessary
- Avoid sunbathing, especially if you’re fair-skinned
Contact our Beverly Hills Dermatologist to Learn More
Dr. Fitzgerald offers a wide range of skin care products that will help you protect your skin during the summer months. She is happy to make individualized treatment recommendations and will provide you with additional tips on how to protect your skin from the sun during an in-person consultation.
Please contact Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald using the form on this page or call 323-464-8046 today to schedule a consultation. We serve patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles and the surrounding areas of California.