For many patients, acne is a hereditary condition that comes back with or without a specific trigger. However, any situation that causes oil or dead skin cells to clog the pores of your face can also lead to a flare-up. These triggers can vary from patient to patient, so it’s important to meet with an experienced dermatologist like Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald to determine the source of your acne.
Generally, the most common triggers for an acne flare-up include the following:
- Hormonal Changes. Changes in the balance of hormones, especially estrogen and progesterone, can result in severe breakouts. This is most likely to occur in women who are pregnant, taking birth control, or going through menopause.
- Genetics. If one of your direct relatives had acne at any point in their life, you are more likely to develop it as well. For many patients with hereditary acne, it is common to have flare-ups into adulthood.
- Stress. Some studies show a positive correlation between stress levels and the severity of acne breakouts. When your body produces more androgens, it can overstimulate oil glands in your skin, leading to clogged pores.
- Certain Skin & Hair Products. Makeup and certain lotions can cause acne flare-ups to happen if they are too oily or thick. In addition, conditioners can make the skin too greasy if it’s not thoroughly rinsed out of your hair.
- Medications. Some medications, most commonly steroids, can alter hormone balances in the body and lead to acne.
- Poor Diet. Some evidence suggests that eating a diet with too much salt, saturated fats, and refined sugars can lead to inflammation and clogged pores.
No matter what causes your acne flare-up, Dr. Fitzgerald can find a solution that helps you control your breakouts and maintain smooth, healthy skin. Available treatments like microneedling, chemical peels, and fractional skin resurfacing not only help restore collagen production, but can also reduce the appearance of acne scars.
Need Help Determining the Source of Your Acne? Call Us Today
If you have recurring acne and want to have clearer skin, call Dr. Fitzgerald at 323-464-8046 to schedule a consultation. She can help you choose the appropriate treatment to address your acne issues. We are happy to serve clients from our office in Los Angeles, CA.