Pre & Post Laser Treatment Guidelines
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment
- This includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, etc.
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk of bruising. Consult with your physician.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, chemical peels, facials, etc).
- Notify clinic with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment
- History of herpes or cold sores may require an anti-viral prescription prior to treatment
After Treatment Skin Care
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and heat: For 2-3 days post-treatment, avoid activities that will heat up your skin, such as going in a hot tub/Jacuzzi/sauna, or strenuous exercise. Avoid outdoor exercising, such as hiking or running for at least 1 week post-treatment.
- Bruising, redness and swelling are common and resolve with time
- Treated pigment will turn darker (brown to black) within 24-48 hours
- Do not pick at treated areas
- Treated pigment will exfoliate off the face in approximately 1 week
- Treated pigment will exfoliate off the body in approximately 2-3 weeks
- Skin Care Products: All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week. Use a mild cleanser, such as a Cetaphil or Cerave. Do not use the clarisonic brush for 5 days after treatment.
- Please do not use any scrubs, toners, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, retinoids (RetinA or retinol), or bleaching creams (hydroquinone) for 5 days after treatment or until your skin has healed.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is very important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.
- Notify clinic of concerns (blistering, excessive redness, swelling, pain, etc.)
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call. We are available 24 hrs a day 7 days a week via our after-hour emergency service. Please call (323) 464-8046, then listen for the option to page MD.