5 Days Before the Procedure
- Avoid any irritants to your skin including products containing Retin-A, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, and vitamin C.
- Avoid blood thinners 5-7 days before your treatment, such as aspirin, Motrin/Advil (ibuprofen), Alieve (naproxen), fish oil, and vitamin E.
- *If you have prescription blood thinners, speak with your healthcare provider before discontinuing.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least 7 days prior to treatment
- Do not wax or use depilatory creams on treatment areas
- Avoid any sunless tanning creams or sprays on treatment areas
Lutronic Genius technology utilizes fractional radiofrequency (RF) indicated for skin of the face, neck, chest, back of hands, and small body areas. Genius induces ablation, thus improving the appearance of rough texture, fine lines, wrinkles, and depressed scars, such as acne scars. The treatment also induces skin rejuvenation by heating the dermis which stimulates collagen generation and replenishment. This process can take up to 1-3 months and multiple treatments may be needed for best results.
The intensity and duration of your side effects depends on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics, but usually can last up to a week after treatment.
- Swelling: You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts two to three days. To minimize swelling:
- Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour
- Sleep with head elevated the first night.
- Redness: Most redness resolves during the first week after treatment, but a rosy ‘glow’ can remain for several weeks. If you wish, you can apply makeup 72 hours after treatment to minimize redness.
- Peeling/Flaking/Dry Skin: Your skin may feel dry, peel or flake. You may notice a “sandpaper” texture a few days after treatment. This is normal; it is the treated tissue working its way out of your body as new fresh skin is regenerated.
- Bronzing, Crusting, and Small Dark Spots: These dark spots are a normal part of the healing process. They will slough off on their own usually within 7 days after treatment.
- Raw Skin: If you develop areas of raw skin after treatment, keep them moist with something like Aquaphor® or Bacitracin®. You do not need to apply band-aids, but keep the areas moist and do not pick at them. They will heal very rapidly on their own.
- Grid-Like Pattern: The laser may leave a grid-like pattern on your skin, which is completely normal.
- Papules/Pimples: Sometimes small papules can arise post treatment, if this occurs please call us for treatment advice.
After Treatment Skin Care
- Avoid Excessive Heat: For 2 days post-treatment, avoid partaking in activities that will heat up your skin, such as going in a hot tub/Jacuzzi/sauna, or strenuous exercise.
- Skin Care Products: All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week. Please do not use any scrubs, toners, glycolic acid, retinoids (RetinA or retinol), or bleaching creams (hydroquinone) until your skin has healed.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is very important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.
- Skincare regimen: You may return to your normal skincare regimen once the skin has completely healed from the laser treatment. This is usually 10-14 days post-treatment.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call! We are available 24 hours/day 7 days/week via our after-hour emergency line. Listen to the menu options and select the choice “page MD”, and the doctor will be paged. (323) 464-8046.