What to Expect During CoolSculpting®
CoolSculpting is a non-surgical procedure that may take from one to several hours, depending on your treatment plan. No general/topical anesthesia or pain medication is required. As the procedure is initiated, vacuum pressure draws tissue into an applicator cup between cooling panels. The vacuum pressure may cause sensations of deep pulling, tugging, and pinching in the area being treated. You also may experience intense stinging, tingling, aching, or cramping. These sensations generally subside as the area becomes numb.
What to Expect Immediately After CoolSculpting:
- Immediately after the procedure, your treated area may look or feel stiff, and transient blanching (temporary whitening of the skin) may occur.
- You may feel a sense of nausea or dizziness as your body naturally warms and sensation returns to your treatment area. These are normal reactions that typically resolve within minutes.
- The treated area may be red for up to a few hours after the applicator is removed. This is an expected but temporary effect after CoolSculpting.
- Bruising, swelling, and tenderness can occur in the treated area. This typically resolves within a week or two.
- Nausea and tingling, stinging and cramping in the treatment area are often reported on treatment day.
- You may feel a temporary dulling sensation in the treated area. This is normal and typically resolves within a few hours but may last for several weeks after your procedure.
- There typically is minimal recovery time after CoolSculpting. Most patients are able to return to their daily routine immediately after the procedure.
What To Expect the First Few Days and Weeks After CoolSculpting
- It is common for the treated area to feel bloated and look swollen in the first few days and weeks after CoolSculpting.
- You may experience a temporary dulling sensation that can last for several weeks.
- At some point within the first two weeks following the procedure, you may experience one or more of the following sensations: deep itching, tingling, numbness, tenderness to the touch, pain in the treated area, strong cramping, diarrhea, muscle spasms, aching and/or soreness. Consult your doctor if these conditions persist beyond two weeks or worsen over time.
- Following the procedure, a gradual reduction in the thickness of the fat layer will take place. You may start to see changes as early as three weeks after CoolSculpting, and you will experience the most dramatic results after one to three months. Your body will continue naturally to process the injured fat cells from your body for approximately four months after your procedure.
- Weight gain will prevent you from appreciating your full results. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine after your procedure can help prevent this.
- Schedule a follow-up medical assessment to review your clinical results and discuss the option of additional treatments to achieve desired fat reduction.
When you are considering a fat-freezing treatment, understand the CoolSculpting treatment guidelines by contacting our team.