Regardless of whether or not your scar is in a location that can easily be concealed under clothing, it may serve as a painful reminder of the traumatic event or injury. When your scar is located in a highly visible place, it can impact your self-confidence. Even when they are in more discrete locations, it may be difficult to move on from the traumatic incident when you have to view these scars in the mirror every day.
Scar removal and treatments in Los Angeles are about much more than eliminating an unsightly mark on your body. It can also play an important role in helping you move on from a painful injury or traumatic event. Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald offers a variety of treatments to help reduce or eliminate the appearance of scars, allowing you to look and feel your very best.
You can receive individualized skin condition recommendations by speaking with Dr. Fitzgerald in person. Please call today to schedule a consultation at our Los Angeles cosmetic dermatology office.
How Does Scarring Occur?
Scarring is a natural component of your body’s healing process after suffering a burn, wound, or other type of injury in Los Angeles. Scars also commonly develop around the incision site after surgery.
The appearance and severity of your scar will depend on a variety of factors, including:
- The depth and size of the wound
- The location of the injury
- Your age
- Genetic disposition
- Your gender
- Your lifestyle
- Initial care of injury
Types of Scars
There are many different types of scars. Some of the most common include:
- Keloid scars: These scars develop due to an overly aggressive healing process and often are greater in length and scope than the initial injury. In severe cases, movement and function may be hindered by keloid scars.
- Contracture scars: These scars are common after a burn injury and cause your skin to tighten, which may impact movement. In severe cases, contracture scars may extend deep beneath the surface of your skin, impacting nerves and muscles as well.
- Acne scars: Acne is a common skin condition impacting many teenagers. When acne breakouts are severe, they often leave behind unsightly scars that serve as a painful reminder of this difficult time in your life.
- Hypertrophic scars: These scars are raised and typically red. They resemble keloid scars but don’t extend beyond the initial wound or injury.
Scar Removal and Treatment Options in Los Angeles
Dr. Fitzgerald can help you improve the appearance of just about any scar. Whether you’ve suffered a serious burn injury, have a large surgical scar, or want to improve the appearance of acne scarring, Dr. Fitzgerald can devise a customized treatment plan to achieve your goals.
Your customized scar removal and treatment in Los Angeles will vary depending on the type and location of your scar. In most instances, Dr. Fitzgerald prefers to use the Fraxel DUAL laser to treat scars. However, if your skin is prone to hyperpigmentation after laser treatment, she may recommend Microneedling as an alternative. Please contact Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald today to schedule your initial consultation.