The Clear + Brilliant laser uses fractional light-based technology to improve skin texture and skin elasticity and minimize pore appearance. For best results, a series of 6 treatments is recommended. The Clear and Brilliant has little downtown and patients can expect on average 1-2 days of redness and 1-4 days of a “sandpaper” feeling or dryness of the skin.
The intensity and duration of your side effects depend on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics but they usually can last up to a week after treatment.
- Swelling: You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts two to three days. To minimize swelling:o Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour
- Sleep elevated the first night. Use as many pillows as you can tolerate.
- Redness: Most redness resolves during the first week after treatment, but some patients may experience redness for up to 1 week.
- Peeling/Flaking/Dry Skin: Your skin may feel dry, peel, or flake. You may notice a“sandpaper” texture a few days after treatment. This is normal; it is the treated tissue working its way out of your body as new fresh skin is regenerated.
- Bronzing, Crusting, and Small Dark Spots: These dark spots are a normal part of the healing process. They will slough off on their own, usually within seven days after treatment.
- Raw Skin: If you develop areas of raw skin after treatment, keep them moist with ointments such as Aquaphor® or Bacitracin®. You do not need to apply band-aids, but keep the areas moist and do not pick at them. They will heal very rapidly on their own.* Please notify the office if you experience raw skin.
- Grid-Like Pattern: The fractional laser may temporarily leave a grid-like pattern on your skin, which is completely normal.
- Papules/Pimples: Sometimes, small papules can arise post-treatment; if this occurs, please call us for treatment advice.
After Treatment Skin Care
- Avoid Excessive Heat: For 2 days post-treatment, avoid partaking in activities that will heat up your skin, such as going in a hot tub/Jacuzzi/sauna, or strenuous exercise.
- Skin Care Products: All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week. Please do not use any scrubs, toners, glycolic acid, retinoids (RetinA or retinol), or bleaching creams (hydroquinone) until your skin has healed, unless otherwise directed by your provider.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is very important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call!
Contact us to learn more about Clear + Brilliant laser treatment guidelines.