Hyperpigmentation is a condition that occurs when your skin becomes a darker color in certain sections. These dark patches can develop in small, localized regions or they can cover large areas of your body. Fortunately, this condition is not usually harmful. However, hyperpigmentation can mar an otherwise beautiful skin complexion and be a source of self-consciousness.
Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald offers a variety of treatments to manage and control hyperpigmentation. You can receive customized treatment recommendations by speaking with her in person. Please call (323) 430-9800 today to schedule a consultation at our Los Angeles cosmetic dermatology office.
Causes of Hyperpigmentation
Hyperpigmentation is caused by an increase in the production of melanin, the substance that gives your skin its color. There are several conditions which may boost your body's production of melanin:
- Excessive sun exposure
- Hormonal changes, often caused by pregnancy
- Endocrine diseases such as Addison's disease
- Certain medications such as antibiotics, anti-seizure drugs and hormone treatments
While anyone can develop hyperpigmentation, the condition is most common among individuals with Asian, Latin, or Mediterranean skin tones.
Types of Hyperpigmentation
Hyperpigmentation can come in several different forms. The most common include:
- Melasma: This type of hyperpigmentation is caused by hormonal changes during pregnancy. While these splotchy areas of discoloration can occur anywhere on the body, they are most prominent on the face.
- Sun spots: These dark areas on your skin are caused by excessive sun exposure over a prolonged period of time. They most commonly occur on the face and hands.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: This condition occurs due to a prior skin injury.
Hyperpigmentation Treatment Options
There is no true cure for hyperpigmentation since the problem can be reactivated by sun exposure. Instead, the goal is to manage and control the condition by lightening the appearance of the skin in the affected region.
Depending on your unique needs and goals, Dr. Fitzgerald may recommend one of the following hyperpigmentation treatments:
- Pico Genesis: A very sophisticated ultra-fast laser for discoloration and dark spots.
- Cosmelan Depigmentation: This treatment begins with an in-office peel to quickly lift excess superficial pigmentation and then continues with an at-home program to help suppress the development of new pigmentation problems.
- Silk Peel Diamond Microdermabrasion: This treatment provides a gentle way to lighten and brighten your skin. Diamond tipped microdermabrasion is combined with lightening serum for excellent results.
- Obagi Skin Renew System: Obagi incorporates prescription ingredients to expedite skin lightening and suppress the activity of melanin production.
- Excel V: This treament option has an excellent ability to target small veins where other lasers are too strong. The Excel V’s 532 wavelength is much better absorbed by the red color (hemoglobin) in the vessels being treated, resulting in more heat getting into the vessels, and thus, better outcomes.
- Fraxel DUAL uses a special laser wavelength that is specific to discoloration. Bonus? Helps take care of precancers at the same time.
In addition, using a sunscreen with SPF 50 or higher is crucial for controlling pigmentary activity whenever you're in the sun.
Please contact Dr. Rebecca Fitzgerald using the form on this page or call (323) 430-9800 today to schedule your hyperpigmentation treatment consultation. We serve patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and Larchmont, California.