Medications to Discontinue 7 Days Before Treatment to Avoid Bruising
To reduce the chance of bruising, avoid the following for seven days (two weeks preferred) prior to your treatment unless prescribed by a doctor:
- *If you have been prescribed any blood thinner or Aspirin, do not discontinue unless okayed by your prescribing physician!
- Fish oil / Fish
- Green tea
- Almonds / Almond Milk
- Pain relievers such as ibuprofen, naproxen or other nsaids (Tylenol OK)
- Coumadin (get primary physician approval first)
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Vitamin E
- Exotic or herbal supplements
Have you ever had a cold sore? If so, please call our office and we will write you a prescription for Valtrex (an anti-viral). Resource for brand name medications list from Kaiser Permanente. Please plan filler treatment two weeks out from any dental work or shots/vaccines/boosters.
The intensity and duration of your side effects depend on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics, but they usually can last up to a week after treatment.
- Swelling: You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts two to three days.
- To minimize swelling:
- Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour
- Sleep elevated the first night. Use as many pillows as you can tolerate.
- Take Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain supplements, which can be found at your local pharmacy or herbal supplement store.
- The initial swelling after treatment to the lips may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for up to a week, and the lips can look somewhat ‘uneven’ during this time. After the swelling has subsided, you will be able to see your true results.
- Redness: You may apply makeup immediately after treatment to minimize the redness.
- Tenderness/Pain: You may take Advil or Tylenol if necessary.
After Treatment Skin Care
- Avoid Excessive Sun and Heat: Until any initial swelling and redness has resolved. This includes aggressive exercise.
- Avoid squeezing or massaging the treated areas for several hours after treatment, as this may subtly change the shape we are trying to achieve. *If you were also treated with the injectable Sculptra Aesthetic, please disregard this and massage as you were instructed.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is always important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside and again immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do dermal fillers work?
Restylane, Juvederm, and RHA fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, which adds volume to facial tissue. Radiesse is made of tiny microspheres of calcium hydroxylapatite to provide scaffolding where your body’s own collagen can grow.
How many treatments are recommended for optimal results?
This depends on your particular needs, but on average, patients need ~3 treatment sessions, each 4 weeks apart.
How long will the results from dermal fillers last?
Restylane, RHA and Juvederm = 6-9 months Radiesse = 1+ year
How much social downtime is required?
You may have swelling, numbness, and redness for a few hours following the procedure, but you can go back to work as soon as you feel comfortable with the way you look.
Does Sculptra Aesthetic treatment hurt?
Topical anesthesia is applied before the procedure to minimize discomfort. We also mix every filler with a numbing agent to further ensure comfort. Lastly, we can offer oral pain medication and/or anxiety medication if you have someone else to drive you home, but this is usually unnecessary.
What side effects can I expect, and how long will they last?
As with most injectables, common side effects are tenderness, pain, redness, itching, bruising, and/or swelling are sometimes reported. These are normal side effects from the result of an injection. The majority of these resolve without treatment within a few days.
When will I start seeing results?
Immediately after treatment, you will have some swelling giving your face a more volumized appearance. However, within a few days, this swelling will go down, and you should be able to see your full results. With Radiesse, the results will be more gradual and continue to improve over time.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call.